Saturday, March 31, 2012

Day 12 Cruise - FAT!

Morning Weigh-in: 75.4 kgs
Daily Loss: 0.7 kgs


I have been reading like crazy these past few days, trying to make up my mind about FAT! I got my new scale on Thursday, and not surprisingly my body composition is far from ideal with a whopping 36.8% fat. 
The American Council on Exercise establishes the following:

ClassificationWomen (% fat)Men (% fat)
Essential Fat10-12%2-4%
Athletes14-20%6-13%
Fitness21-24%14-17%
Acceptable25-31%18-25%
Obese32% plus25% plus

Which of course means that although my BMI is below 30 (barely) I am still obese. SIGH!
If you want to establish your fat percentage from your BMI you can use the following formula:


Adult body fat % = (1.20 × BMI) + (0.23 × Age) − (10.8 × sex*) − 5.4 
* sex is male=1 ; female=0


Which in my case gave me a Fat % of 37,57%, which is not so far from what my super expensive and cool scale gave me. I guess what this formula tells you though, is that when you lose weight you are losing fat. Which is not always the case. At least not from all I have been reading. 


Reading all I can on fitness and weight loss is giving me a headache. I studied Economics, and I must say, weight loss is much a science as Economics. In the sense that it isn't an exact science, and that everyone has a different opinion. 


The reason I have been reading up so much is because I am REALLY committed this time and I must admit I am a geek. For now I am pretty confused on the best way to lose weight while changing my body composition i.e. losing those fat kilos and increasing the lean kilos in my body. Hopefully when my research is done I will have a clearer idea and will post my findings.

5 comments:

  1. From one geek to another - Your reading sounds really interesting, cant wait for you to post your findings! I was never very good at maths so can I ask - (10.8 x sex) - what number do you input for sex? Have I missed something simple? Thanks, Sonia. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonia, you are totally right! Thanks for letting me see I omitted an important detail. I already fixed it in the post.
      Sex is 1 for male and 0 for female!

      For now my head is all filled up with all the research and I haven't been to good in underlining and bookmarking so I can find the best parts! I will go back and read some more so I can make a proper post.
      Hope you are feeling better.
      F.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Fabiana, I can work it out now! I think! LOL.

      I'm much better than I was thanks. Just trying to balance eating/drinking with not feeling 100%, my water intake is definitely suffering. But getting better is number 1 priority at the moment. xo

      Delete
  2. In other words, subtract 10,8 if you are male and nothing if you are female ... or am I missing something???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, exactly right, if woman 0 and subtract the 5.4 that follows (which you also subtract as a man).
      The important thing here though is it is JUST an idea. It is not accurate at all. For an accurate and cheap calculation you need to go with calipers, a Dr or nutritionist at the gym can calculate your real fat %.
      This formula is based on BMI, which is already inaccurate for people with a low fat content. In any case, it gives an idea of were you stand. I bought a scale that does Biometric Impedance Analysis, but I should have done more research since it is basically calculating my fat based on the lower part of my body, and I am pear shaped, so most of my fat is in my legs, almost none in my middle section.
      Hope this is helpful.

      Delete