Monday, March 19, 2012

Living without Wheat?

I, like many others, have been reading "Wheat Belly", the book by William Davis, MD, that talks about the evil that is modern "Triticum Aestivum", better known as wheat.
I must admit I only skimmed the super science-y stuff, and only read the parts that directly interested me. In a nut-shell, the book explains how wheat has been changed over the years to offer a more efficient higher-yielding crop, and that because of these changes, wheat consumption is the underlying cause of obesity, and different ailments including high blood pressure, triglycerides, diabetes, celiac disease and even the exacerbation of autism and schizophrenia.

As a Dukaneer, I have of course gone through a period of no-wheat consumption and I must say I have experienced the benefits the Dr describes. I am not the typical "Wheat Belly" case, as I don't collect fat around my abdomen, and I don't suffer any of the more serious ailments described in the book, but I am still in my mid-thirties, so if I continue consuming wheat I might just end up there. What I do know, and have known for a while, is that I am a "wheat addict". While on Dukan though, I experienced the relief of not needing to gorge on carbs at 6pm every night. I read on the Dukan book, as well as in many blogs, that reduced hunger and cravings were a result of "ketosis". "Wheat Belly" explains that once you give up wheat, you forgo the addiction and you no longer eat irrationally, but as a result of actual hunger.  Additionally, during the break from the diet I have returned to my usual ways, experiencing a void in the pit of my stomach that I wish to fill with carbs, but that can never really be filled. I also find it harder to get up in the morning and I am back to having morning headaches.

What now though? Knowing that wheat is not only the cause of my extra kilos but an evil, evil crop, am I really contemplating never eating anything containing wheat ever again? Is it even possible? As the book explains, wheat is in EVERYTHING, not only cookies, cereal and bread, it is in pills and soups, and many other processed foods. I must say I am definitely willing to give it a try, but I will have to wait for the Consolidation Phase to truly test my resolve. I do live in Italy after all. The good news is that pasta is made of "Triticum durum", which apparently is not as bad.



No comments:

Post a Comment